September 11, 2011

Andy Whitfield Has Passed Away

The saddest news readers. Andy Whitfield has passed away.

"On a beautiful sunny Sydney spring morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield lost his 18 month battle with lymphoma cancer," Whitfield's wife Vashti said in a statement. "He passed peacefully surrounded by love. Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."AP News
Spartacus Red Carpet Premiere
What a touching statement. And his wife, Vashti  mentioned his fans. After what this woman had been through.......she's very strong and kind.

It's hard to believe. He looked so good in that update from Nick a few month's ago.

I'm reminded of a friend of mine from work a couple years ago. She had pancreatic cancer. All we were told is that she was on leave. And word spread that she had cancer. I saw her a few months later on my day off at a store. She looked fabulous. Smiling at me. Full of energy and happy. Serene even. She hugged me, and wished me well. A month later she was dead. It occurred to me after, that she knew.


I wonder if Andy knew when that picture was taken. He looks serene and at peace in it.
Picture From Nick Tarabay's Facebook

He was a brilliant actor that brought depth and emotion to the character of Spartacus. I loved his portrayal of Spartacus. He was was truly a champion. Battling cancer twice. I get a lump in my throat every time I think of the way he wanted the show to go on without him. His generosity and grace in the face of cancer is inspiring and touching.

My heart goes out to his wife and children, the rest of his family and friends. Thoughts and prayers. Rest in peace Andy. You'll be missed.

***A trust fund has been set up to help out Andy's family. Head on over to Ausxip to read Lucy's note.